Rational Functional Tester Interview Questions
Posted by Matt Archer on July 3, 2008
One of the things I get involved in occasionally is interviewing. I’m not particularly fond of it, but it’s one of those necessary evils because what I’ve found (from bitter experience) is if you don’t give them the time they deserve you only end up hiring someone you wish you hadn’t and are then are faced with the really awful job of trying to find them something they can do (rather than the job you hired them for) or politely asking them to leave 😦
I’m also a firm believer of giving people an overview of the type of things they are going to be asked before they arrive, which is why I’ve always been happy to discuss interview questions with anyone that asks me as well as on-line because if they don’t know their stuff a weeks worth of cramming isn’t really going to help once you begin to scratch below the surface.
If they’re expected to use an industry recognised tool as part of their new job, I find it useful to not only talk to them about the specifics of using the tool and the tool’s features, but also the body of knowledge that surrounds that tool. If we take IBM Rational Functional Tester as an example (one of my favourite GUI level automated testing tool) it should make the distinction between the two types of questions obvious.
Specific IBM Rational Functional Tester Questions
- Why would you use the RFT Proxy SDK?
- If I have my test data in MS Excel, explain the steps required in RFT to create a data-driven test.
- How do you version control your automated test scripts in RFT?
- Explain the concept of the RFT Test Object Map. What are the benefits?
- Can you give me an example of when you would use a Helper Superclass in RFT?
- Which environments (technology domains) are supported by RFT?
- What are the differences between the Data verification point and the Property verification point in RFT?
- Which other IBM Rational tools does RFT integrate with?
- How is Keyword-driven testing different from Data-driven testing. How does it work in RFT?
- Explain to me the concept behind RFT ScriptAssure?
General GUI Test Automation Questions
(Applicable to any GUI test automation tool, like QuickTest Pro, WinRunner, SilkTest, Robot, TestComplete, etc, etc)
- What is your defintion for “automated testing” / a “test automation tool” ?
- Give me an example of a test that is likely to deliver a good ROI when automated
- Give me an example of a test that is likely to deliver a poor ROI when automated
- Which other tools have you used to complement IBM Rational Functional Tester?
- What are the benefits of using the “recorder” feature of a GUI level test automation tool?
- What are the potentials pitfalls of using the “recorder” feature of a GUI level test automation tool?
- When is the best time to start creating automated test scripts on a project?
- Would you run a test manually before you automated it? Would you document that test?
- People sometimes talk about a test automation architecture. What do you think they mean?
- Re-working automated test scripts because of changes to the GUI is part of GUI level test automation. What percentage of your time do you think is acceptable to dedicate to this task?
I tend to find that it is the body of knowledge type questions that really sort the men from the boys. I think it’s because there are millions (well, maybe not that many, but at least a large number 🙂 ) of different ways to answer these type of questions depending upon the assumptions you make. The interesting bit then comes when you get to watch people as they think through these assumptions and then provide a collection of it-depends type answers. Of course, some people crash and burn at this stage, but hey, thats interviews for you!